Traditional Swedish Saffron Buns
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup dark rum
2 tablespoons dry yeast
2 cups milk
1 gram saffron strands
1 cup ricotta cheese
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
600 grams unbleached white flour
100 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
1. Soak the raisins in the rum.
2. In a small sauce pan, add ½ cup of the milk along with the saffron. Stir and heat up to just below boiling to extract colour and flavour of the saffron. Let cool.
3. In a medium sauce pan, add the rest of the milk and heat to 37C. Remove from the heat and add the yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes.
4. In a mixer, add the milk/yeast and saffron along with the ricotta cheese, sugar and salt. Blend well. Slowly add the flour while mixing on slow. When well incorporated, spoon in the soft butter and mix until smooth. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest 40-50 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 450F
6. Cut dough in half. Cover one half and roll the other half into a long rectangle, about 6” wide and ½” thick.
7. Cut into thin strips and roll into shape. Place on a baking tray, add the raisins, cover, and let rest for another 30 minutes. Repeat with the second half of the dough.
8. Brush with whisked egg. Bake in oven 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.