Stuffed Christmas Goose
Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
Roast approximately: 3 hours
1 prepared goose, approx. 4 kg/8 lbs.
8 sour apples, sliced (e.g. Boskop)
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
200g | 1⅓ cups of fresh cranberries
5 sprigs of thyme (leaves plucked and chopped)
1 sprig of rosemary (leaves plucked and chopped)
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (160°C in a fan oven), 350°F, gas 4.
2. Rub the goose with salt and ground black pepper on the inside and outside. Stuff ⅔ of the apples, the cranberries and herbs inside the goose and sew the cavity closed using kitchen twine.
3. Place the goose in a roasting tin with the breast side down, add 100 ml. of water, cover and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Baste occasionally and add some more hot water if necessary.
4. Turn the goose over, pierce with toothpicks under the wings, arrange the remaining apples along the sides and roast uncovered for a further 90 minutes, basting more often.
5. Baste again, turn the oven up to 200°C (180°C in a fan oven), 400°F, gas 6 and continue to roast for 10-15 minutes until crispy.
6. Remove the goose from the oven, carve and arrange on a serving platter with the braised apples. (If desired
garnish with grapes and vine leaves). Skim the fat off the sauce and season to taste.