Salmon & Spring Vegetable Savoury Tart
Prep time: 15 min
chilling time: 30 min
cooking time: 1 h 25 min
Cannot be frozen
For the crust:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 tsp fine salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cold and cubed
2 - 3 tbsp ice water, plus extra as needed
For the filling:
2 cups small potatoes
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into coins
2 2/3 cups skinless salmon fillet, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1 cup crème fraîche
1 cup milk
4 large eggs
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
freshly ground black pepper
pansy flowers (optional)
1. For the crust: Combine the flour, salt and vegetable shortening in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs. Add the ice water, 1 tbsp at a time, and pulse between additions until a rough dough comes together.
2. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead briefly. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 170°C (150° fan) | 325F | gas 3.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to approximately 0.75 cm | 0.333" thickness. Use it to line the base and sides of a 23 cm | 9" fluted tart or quiche pan. Cut away any overhanging excess and prick the base with a fork. Chill until needed.
5. For the filling: Cook the potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water until just tender to the tip of a knife, about 5-7 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk together the crème fraîche, milk, eggs and Parmesan cheese with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Quarter the potatoes and arrange in the pastry case along with the carrots, salmon fillet and peas. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and pour over the egg filling.
8. Bake for about 1 hour until the pastry is cooked through and golden, and the filling is set and starting to color on top.
9. Remove to a cooling rack to cool. Serve warm or cold, garnished with pansies if desired.
Use cold, cubed butter instead of vegetable shortening if not available.