Futomaki Sushi with Omelette, Salmon, Avocado and Cucumber
Prep time: 35 min
Cooking Time: 5 min
1/3 cup of rice vinegar
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of mirin
2 teaspoons of salt
2 cups of short grain rice, rinsed, drained and cooked
4 sheets of nori, lightly toasted
2 ounces of smoked salmon
2 ounces of tamagoyaki (Japanese Rolled Omelette)
2 ounces of kanpyo (dried shavings of calabash)
2 ounces of pickled daikon
2 ounces of Japanese cucumber
2 ounces of sliced avocado
1. In a small saucepan bring vinegar, sugar, mirin and salt to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar dissolves. Let cool.
2. Spread the cooked rice in a large shallow dish. Sprinkle half the vinegar mixture over the rice and toss with a fork. Add the remaining liquid and toss again. Cover with a damp cloth and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
3. Place rolling mat on work surface with shortest side closest; place a nori sheet, shiny side down, on mat. With wet fingers, press one quarter of the rice evenly over nori, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) border on far side uncovered.
4. Top with one quarter of the smoked salmon, tamagoyaki, kanpyo, pickled daikon, Japanese cucumber, and avocado.
5. Holding filling in place with fingers, tightly roll mat over filling. Using mat as guide, roll up firmly, squeezing to compress. With sharp wet knife, trim ends; cut into eight 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices. Repeat with remaining ingredients.